This timeline of the St. Marks Lighthouse Can be found inside the keeper’s quarters when you tour the lighthouse.

1828 Congress authorizes construction of a Lighthouse at the mouth of the St. Marks River, probably in the vicinity of Cedar Point Trail.
1830 First tower completed with hollow walls but rejected by the inspector.
1831 Second tower completed with solid walls.
1842 Deterioration of second tower caused a third tower to be built in the present location.
1843 Keeper’s dwelling destroyed by powerful storm; 11-14 people killed.
1854 Protective breakwater and limestone keeper’s dwelling built.
1861 - 1865 Lens removed, keeper’s dwelling burned, tower damaged by fire and shelling during the Civil War.
1865 In March, almost 1,000 Union troops landed near the lighthouse and marched to fight the Battle of Natural Bridge.
1867 Tower repairs finished and light re-lit.
1883 Strong hurricane damaged keeper’s dwelling and top of the tower.
1931 St. Marks Migratory Bird Refuge (now St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge) created.
1933 - 1934 Road to Lighthouse built by Civilian Conservation Corps.
1939 Electricity came to the Lighthouse. U.S. Coast Guard assumes control of all U.S. Light Stations.
1960 Last Cost Guard Officer-in-Charge leaves station and beacon automated.
2000 Exterior solar powered light installed and Fresnel Lens discontinued.
2001 U.S. Coast Guard made interior and exterior repairs of Lighthouse and Keeper’s dwelling.
2013 U.S. Coast Guard transfers ownership of the Lighthouse to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge.
2014 Fresnel lens removed for preservation is now on display in the Visitor Center.
2014 - 2018 Extensive renovations to dwelling and tower funded by grants and generous donations from those who hold the St. Marks Lighthouse dear. More improvements to come.